[PPL-devel] Re: debian/control: build-depends

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Tue Mar 1 12:59:42 CET 2005

> From the GCC mailing lists I gather that the _implemented_ C++ ABI
> changes more frequently than people believes (another thing is,
> of course, the _published_ C++ ABI).  However, taking your note
> as a starting point, I have made a little research and discovered
> that the Debian people seem to be rather concerned about incompatible
> ABI changes (this cannot be generalized: see, for instance,
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-February/msg01233.html).
> I am thus changing the dependency to (== 3.4).

Thanks for the info - I don't know gcc that well ...

[...]
>>> Finally, I believe we now depend on C++ features that are not
>>> correctly supported by 3.3.x.
>>
>> Hmm - I built and used the library successfully, but only very small parts
>> of this library :-)

> And probably only on one architecture, only with a single combination
> of configure options and so on and so forth :-)
Yes, that's completely true ...

[...]
> Yes, they are required to build the package.  Also Doxygen
> is required.  I am adding all of these to the build-dependencies.
> However, do not expect this to work reliably: the truth is that
> a very recent version of Doxygen is required in order to build
> the documentation and the Debian packaging system does not
> seem to allow specifying this.

This might also be the soure of my Constraint_System-undocumented-Problem
... But assuming you do not use every new feature being added to doxygen
in the future, the time will come where the version provided by Debian is
just fine ...

>> Another two points:
>>
>> - Shouldn't it be called libppl instead of ppl?

See the other thread (your RFC) ...

Thanks,
Michael