[PPL-devel] Re: [SWIPL] Suggestion for the DarwinPorts version of SWI-Prolog

Paulo Moura pmoura at di.ubi.pt
Thu Jun 9 10:38:41 CEST 2005

Hi Roberto,

> Paulo Moura wrote:
>
>> On MacOS X, when installing SWI-Prolog using DarwinPorts
>> (including  the installers available from the SWI-Prolog web
>> site), the above  header files are installed on /opt/local/lib/
>> swipl-x.y.zz/include/. A  possible solution would be to create
>> links to the header files on / opt/local/include/.
>>

> Yes, this is what I meant.

I will try to do that for the next SWI-Prolog stable release.

> What I wanted to say is whether you plan
> to modify your install procedure so that this link is performed
> automatically (to match what happens on the Unix/GNU world) or if you
> think this is the job of third-party software providers, like
> ourselves.

There seams to be some confusion here between the official SWI-Prolog
distribution (i.e. the source code tarball) and the DarwinPorts-based
installers for MacOS X, which are a user contribution to the SWI-
Prolog project. I expect that the above proposed changes will only be
applied to the DarwinPorts portfile (which describes a particular way
of compiling and installing SWI-Prolog that, btw, tries to follow the
DarwinPorts project policy regarding install locations). I do not
expect the currently available MacOS X installers to be suitable to
everyone. For one thing, they require an administration account,
which not all people have, as Richard pointed out.

Cheers,

Paulo

Paulo Jorge Lopes de Moura
Dep. of Informatics                   Office 4.3  Ext. 3257
University of Beira Interior          Phone: +351 275319700
6201-001 Covilhã                      Fax:   +351 275319899
Portugal

<mailto:pmoura at di.ubi.pt>
<http://www.di.ubi.pt/~pmoura>     <http://www.logtalk.org>