[PPL-devel] Re: Problems with SWI-Prolog interface

Matthew Mundell mattm at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 13:47:58 CEST 2005

Roberto Bagnara <bagnara at cs.unipr.it> writes:

> Matthew Mundell wrote:
>> So any idea why plld only finds libpl when -lpl is given explicitly?
>
> Because the installation of SWI-Prolog you are using is broken.
> If you try the following command on your machine you will get
>
> $ pl -dump-runtime-variables
> CC="/usr/local/gcc-3.4.3/bin/gcc";
> PLBASE="/usr/local/pl/lib/pl-5.4.7";
> PLARCH="i686-linux";
> PLLIBS="-ldl -lreadline -lncurses -lm ";
> PLLIB="";
> PLLDFLAGS="-export-dynamic  -O3";
> PLSOEXT="so";
> PLVERSION="50407";
> PLSHARED="yes";
> PLTHREADS="no";
>
> If you do the same on any machine with a decently installed
> version of SWI-Prolog, you will get, instead
>
> $ pl -dump-runtime-variables
> CC="gcc";
> PLBASE="/usr/local/lib/pl-5.4.7";
> PLARCH="i686-linux";
> PLLIBS="-ldl -lreadline -lncurses -lm -lrt ";
> PLLIB="-lpl";
> PLLDFLAGS="-export-dynamic  -O3 -pthread";
> PLSOEXT="so";
> PLVERSION="50407";
> PLSHARED="yes";
> PLTHREADS="yes";
>
> Notice the difference concerning the value of `PLLIB'.
> My advice is to erase your installation of SWI-Prolog completely
> and then re-install it again from the sources with a standard
> ./configure ; make ; sudo make install

Thanks Roberto.  I've rebuilt SWI in /usr/not-backed-up and PLLIB only
contains -lpl if --enable-mt is passed to configure.  So I think that
if the existing SWI installation is rebuilt with multi-threading then
the PPL interface will compile.  I doubt that a standard ./configure
will work, even from a fresh set of source.