[PPL-devel] Re: PPL instalation and .so libraries

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Fri Jul 1 17:37:39 CEST 2005

Jose Morales wrote:
> Hi Roberto,
>
> some PhD students at Madrid & New Mexico have been trying to install
> PPL 0.7 to be used with Ciao and had some problems.  'libppl_ciao.so'
> was not found during module loading.  We thought it could be Ciao's
> fault until we tried the Yap interface and same problem showed up.
> Later we realized that the PPL .so libraries were installed in
> /usr/local/lib/ppl, and although we run ldconfig we had completely
> forgotten to modify /etc/ld.so.conf.
>
> Have you considered installing libppl_* directly in /usr/local/lib so
> that no change in /etc/ld.so.conf is required?  If this is a problem,
> making a link should also do the trick.  Or, if the message which
> appears during compilation/installation were more prominent, that
> would also help.  Are we the only ones bitten by this?  It seems like
> a candidate for a Frequently Asked Question, or a bullet in some quick
> installation instructions.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.

Dear Jose,

the intention here is not to keep the PPL somewhat confined and not
to clutter $prefix/lib (where $prefix could well be /usr and not
/usr/local).  This may seem an excessive worry right now, but
future releases of the PPL may have dozens of .so libraries for
several foreign language interfaces (not only the various Prolog
systems).  We will definitely add a note in the FAQs.
Many thanks,

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it