[PPL-devel] [Fwd: Re: A question on powerset operations]

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Mon Oct 25 15:57:11 CEST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: A question on powerset operations
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:32:36 -0400
From: Hosung Song <hosungs at umich.edu>
To: Roberto Bagnara <bagnara at cs.unipr.it>

Prof. Bagnara,

Thank you very much. Encouraged by your prompt feedback, I decided to
try to implement my own C interface for those polyhedra powerset
operations. All I need is just three operations: creation of an empty
powerset, add a disjunct, and finally check if a polyhedron is contained
(geometrically covered) by a powerset. (Maybe I would need more later.)
Since my C++ knowledge is very shallow, it took quite a long time to
figure out how (after all, most answers I found from the ppl_c.cc),
especially how to deal with the compile errors due to differences in
Polyhedron and NNC_Polyhedron. Polyhedra_PowerSet is defined as a
template class, and I just don't know much how to deal with one
effectively. I tried various different ad hoc trials, and it turns out
that there's a simple casting operation, which I found in another
portion of ppl_c.cc. Anyway, I know my implementation may be too
specific for my purpose, but I'd like you to look over it and give me
some confirmation. It seems that the integration works well for my
project right now, but who knows if my implementation is just completely
bogus. I'm attaching the diffs for interfaces/C/ppl_c.cc and
interfaces/C/ppl_c.h.in. All diffs are just additions to the original
ppl_c.cc and ppl_c.h.in. I know they are really tiny, but it took me a
novice C++ user quite a few hours. Any of your comments would be greatly
appreciated. I'd be happy if you somehow incorporate this kind of C
interface in the new release. In fact, I thought of coding this as a
separate source file, maybe under my project directory, because I didn't
want to modify the PPL distribution. However, my lack of knowledge on
how to compile it and manage as a library prohibited that approach. If
you could give me a pointer on general methods of making C interface for
library written in C++, I would certainly try that.

Thanks always.

Hosung

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it