[PPL-devel] [Fwd: Re: Any Prolog language lawyer out there?]

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Thu Oct 21 10:50:58 CEST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Any Prolog language lawyer out there?
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:09:14 +0200
From: Bart Demoen <bmd at cs.kuleuven.ac.be>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog

I wrote:

> Goal     : integer(- 4)
> Specification result :     Must fail
>

> Goal     : integer(-4)
> Specification result :     Must succeed
>

> So it seems that the space between the - and the 4 is important.
>
> I do not have the final copy of the standard, and although I do remember
> that there has been discussion about it, I do not remember the final
> outcome,
> so can anybody check that's indeed what the standard says ?

I got hold of a standard ...

It says at the end of section that Jens was quoting from:

"A term which is the name - followed directly by a numeric constant,
denotes the cirresponding negative constant"

In the standard "directly" means something like "with no space in between".

That decides the issue I think: - 4 should not be read as a negative integer;
and -4 should be read as a negative integer.

Cheers

Bart Demoen

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it