[PPL-devel] Suggestion

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Wed Jul 7 18:26:48 CEST 2004

Enrico Oliosi wrote:
 > I should make a small prototype which does polyhedra analysis.

Dear Enrico,

this is interesting indeed!

 > I should create a small parser of a imperative toy-language in order to
 > analyse its expressions and comands. I compiled your PPL-library
 > in C++ language so I should create this parser in this language.

Well, this is not strictly true: you can actually create the
parser in the language you prefer.  However, let us take it
for granted that you prefer to have a C/C++ parser.

 > I would ask to you if you know some instruments to make this parser.

There are several parser generators around that you may use to
facilitate the task.  I would go with Elkhound
(http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~smcpeak/elkhound/).  The Elkhound web
pages contain a tutorial that can help you to get started quickly as
well as pointers to other parser generators you may want to look at.
If your language is really very simple, you can write the lexical
analyzer by hand.  Otherwise, I would suggest you look at Flex
(http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/flex.html).
I hope this helps.

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it