[Fwd: Re: [PPL-devel] Compiling PPL under Cygwin?]

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Fri Feb 13 14:32:36 CET 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [PPL-devel] Compiling PPL under Cygwin?
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:43:52 +0000
From: Goran Frehse <gfrehse at andrew.cmu.edu>
To: Roberto Bagnara <bagnara at cs.unipr.it>

Roberto Bagnara wrote:
> I assume the library that could not be found is `libstdc++.la',
> not `libstc++.la'.  If so, this is the standard C++ library and
> should have been installed along with g++ on your installation.
Yes, you are right.
Actually I just noticed that somebody answered my request in the Cygwin
mailing list about this. It turns out that the paths in the .la files
are wrong and must be corrected by hand in the current installation.
For details, see:

> during the weekend.  Meanwhile, a few questions: (1) which version of
> the PPL are you trying to compile?  (2) Which version of Cygwin
> are you using (if you use the updater http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
> then we are using the same version)?  (3) Did you compile GMP yourself
> and, if so, how did you configure it?
(1) 0.5
(2) 1.5.7-1, a fresh download from www.cygwin.com last week.
(3) GMP was compiled without further options (It installed itself in
/usr/local/lib).
Note that "make" causes no problems, only "make check".

> The problem is that no one in the development team is using (let alone
> developing under) Windows, so everything is more difficult.
> If you are interested in support for Borland C++ and are willing to
> assist us a little bit, then we can revive the efforts of that development
> branch.
I have the same problem :-) My main platform is Linux and currently I
have no other compilers.

> I attach the current version of these instructions for the C interface
> under the signature.  I will draft something for the C++ interface
> and let you have it, so that you can suggest improvements and additions.
Great. Please know that I'm not trying to cause you work, just trying to
be of assistance. It took me a few attempts to get everything to compile
under Linux, so a few small comments might help others, too.

Best wishes,
Goran

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it