[PPL-devel] Re: Question about PPL (missing detail)

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Wed Oct 8 15:43:36 CEST 2003

Carlos Ureña Almagro wrote:
>   I'm trying to use PPL library for a project related to Computer
>   Graphics. First at all, I would like to thank you for your effort
>   in development and maintenence of that library. I had a trouble
>   trying to use it, and I would like to know if you have experienced
>   this and maybe you can point me to the solution. I apologize if
>   this is a trivial question, or has a trivial solution which I
>   ignore.
>
>   I have suse linux 8.2, with gcc version 3.2, kernel 2.4.19. I
>   have succesfully installed the binary rpm version of your library.
>   (I have libstdc++.so.5 in my linux box, rpm missed the corresponding
>   libstdc++ rpm package, but the file is there, so I ignored the rpm
>   warning).
>
>   After installing, I checked I had the libraries in standard linux lib
>   folders, and I  wrote a simple C++ program using the PPL. The
>   program compiled OK, but when I tried to link it, I had an error
>   message, more concretelly, the linker found references to this
>   undefined symbol (dots are mine)
>
>   standard_alloc_template<...>::_S_force_new
>
>   may be the libraries I have are wrong, but every symbol was
>   correctly resolved except for this, and this is what bothers
>   me
>

>   Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much in advance.

Dear Carlos,

the symptom suggests that you are trying to link C++ objects obtained
with different version of GCC, something that does not work in general.
Things will improve in the future, but until now the situation has
been quite discouraging: version 3.0 was not compatible with 3.1
and the same thing happened in the transition to 3.2 and to 3.3.
Indeed, even the fact that we distribute RPMs is questionable,
since they are useless on systems where a different version of GCC
is installed.  The problem is aggravated by the fact explained
in our draft FAQ available at http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/FAQ.
The bottom line is that GMP, the PPL and all your C++ code must
be compiled with the same version of the same compiler (GCC,
in your case).

To summarize: you should build everything from sources.
Start with GMP following the instructions in
http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Download/requirements
and then configure, compile and install the PPL.
Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need help:
direct all communication to ppl-devel at cs.unipr.it.
We would also love to know more about your application.
All the best,

      Roberto and the PPL team

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it