[PPL-devel] a Bug, a Beg and a Binding

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Wed Aug 20 21:16:37 CEST 2003

Axel Simon wrote:
 > I am trying to describe how to analyze floating point calculations with
 > polyhedra. It's a last-minute project for a VMCAI paper.

Great!  There is no much time though ;-)

 > The only thing which could make the test fail is the fact that I
 > retrieve the end iterator before I actually iterate through the
 > constraint system.

That would not be a problem, provided nothing happens to the constraint
system before you actually iterate.  If you can reproduce the problem
in C or C++ we would be more than happy to help with debugging.

 > The odd thing is that this function works 90% of the
 > time. I would like to debug it but it is kind of hard since all
 > interesting functions are in-line. It could be something with my binding
 > to Haskell, but I just thought I ask if somebody has experienced the
 > same problem with the C interface before going down that route.

No, we are not aware of any problem of this kind.  You will find similar
code, iterating through a generator system, at lines 667 and following
of interfaces/C/lpenum/lpenum.c.

 >> Do you need only the maximum value of the expression
 >> or also one or all vertices where the maximum is attained?
 >
 > No, I would only be interested in the maximum (rational?) value. I think
 > that is essential for analyzing non-linear expressions like x = e_1 *e_2
 > with \exists_x(P) \sqcup \{ x \leq \max(e_1,P)*e_1, x \leq
 > \max(e_2,P)*e_1, x \geq \min(e_1,P)*e_2, x \geq \min(e_2,P)*e_1 \}
 > where \min(e_1,P) gives smallest value of the expression e_1 in P.

OK: we will try to add this functionality to the library in a couple
of days or so.  If this is too much time, you can look at the above
mentioned lines 667 and following of interfaces/C/lpenum/lpenum.c:
there, what is done is precisely to compute the rational maximum/minumum
of a linear expression.
Cheers

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it