[PPL-devel] Bug in PolyBase::generators() and maybe somewhere else

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Sat Mar 30 11:07:43 CET 2002

I have just added a new program, `generators2' to the `tests' directory.
It shows a bug in PolyBase::generators() when it is invoked on a polyhedron
that is "semantically empty" and not "syntactically empty".  The analysis
is easy: since generators are not up to date, we invoke update_generators(),
which returns false because the polyhedron was found to be empty.
We ignore the return value of update_generators() and happily call
obtain_sorted_generators()... BOOM!

231
   if (!generators_are_up_to_date())
232
     update_generators();
233

234
   // We insist in returning a sorted system of generators.
235
   obtain_sorted_generators();

At a first sight, there are other places where the return value
of update_generators() is ignored, and this is not a nice thing.
Ciao

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it