[PPL-devel] Installing PPL

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Tue Jun 11 15:22:38 CEST 2002

Martin Rohde wrote:
> Dear Roberto,
>
> thank you for your quick response. Here the information:
>
> I installed GMP 4.1 (the latest version from the gnu website)
>
> The prefix just points to a test directory, because it is not yet
> installed officially on our lab. So I created the directory /tmp/gmp in
> order to test the GMP library, together with PPL. But this should work
> anyhow. I have the feeling that, though the --with-gmp* are used, PPL uses
> the default GMP directory, where version 3 is installed. Our administrator
> doesn't want to change to version 4 immediately, because of the links to
> other applications...
>
> The output of g++ -v is
> gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-81)
>
> The output of uname-a is
> Linux klftdh07.tn.tudelft.nl 2.4.8-ac2 #4 Mon Aug 13 15:02:24 CEST 2001
> i686 unknown
>
> The config.log file can be found as an attachment in this mail.
>
> I hope you can help me, because the library looks very interesting and
> powerful!

Dear Martin,

here is the diagnosis of the problem you are experiencing.
GMP 4.0.1 had a misfeature that was hiding a bug in the configuration
mechanism of PPL 0.3.  This problem of GMP was reported in

   http://www.cs.unipr.it/pipermail/ppl-devel/2002-March/001417.html

and then fixed in GMP 4.1.  In summary, with GMP 4.1 the bug in PPL 0.3
becomes apparent and does not allow you to build the library.
There are two possible solution: installing GMP 4.0.1 instead of GMP 4.1
and then install PPL 0.3 or, much better, wait a few hours so that we can
prepare a snapshot of PPL 0.4 (due to be released very soon) for you.
We warmly suggest the second solution.
I will send you a mail when the snapshot is on our web site for you to download.
All the best

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it