[PPL-devel] definitions.dox

P M Hill hill at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Oct 11 21:37:17 CEST 2001

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Enea Zaffanella wrote:

> Pat,
>
> you are right, the notation is currently not consistent.
> For vectors, usual notations are either bold-face letters
> or the use of an overline (something like the LaTeX command \vec).
> I would prefer the first one ... but this is just my taste.
> We are currently investigating whether or not it is possible
> to have a convenient use of macros, to help confining all these
> notation changes in a single place (here the problem is that
> this mechanism should work independently of the form of the
> final output and the way it is obtained ... html, pdf, doxygen ...)

That is why I suggest a different letter for the components of the vector
x (and y), that is simple and unambiguous - the only problem is what
letters to use.
As b and d are already used for vectors, so that the obvious "a_i"
and "b_i" are no better than "x_i" and "y_i", I suggested lambda_i and
mu_i. At least these are already used for real numbers, so this is
consistent.
Other options are "u_i" and "v_i".

ciao,
  Pat