[cs at parma seminars] Seminario su "Live Heap Space Analysis for Java Bytecode"

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Mon Mar 16 15:49:34 CET 2009

Data e ora:
Mercoledì, 18 marzo 2009, ore 11:30

Luogo:
Aula D, Dipartimento di Matematica, Università di Parma

Titolo:
Live Heap Space Analysis for Java Bytecode

Relatore:
Miguel Gómez-Zamalloa
Departamento de Sistemas Informáticos y Computación
Universidad Complutense de Madrid
España

Abstract:
I will present a live heap space analysis for (sequential) Java
Bytecode. First, for those who are not familiar with Java Bytecode
(JBC), I will give a mini-tutorial on the JBC language and the JVM
(Java virtual machine). Then I will concentrate on how using the cost
analysis framework in the COSTA system (COSt and Termination Analyzer
for JBC), we can generate heap space cost relations which define at
compile-time the total heap consumption of a program as a function of
its input data size. These relations can be used to obtain upper
bounds on the total heap space allocated during the execution of a
program. Unfortunately, in presence of garbage collection (GC), such
an analysis is an overly pessimistic estimation of the actual memory
requirement. I will therefore outline a Live heap space analysis which
aims at approximating the peak heap consumption during program
execution, thus providing a much tighter estimation. Finally, I will
give a short demonstration of the COSTA system showing how it can
infer upper bounds of different resources not restricted to any
complexity class.

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it