[cs at parma seminars] Seminario di Informatica

Gianfranco Rossi gianfranco.rossi at unipr.it
Thu Feb 15 18:02:05 CET 2007

[Con preghiera di diffusione e scuse per l'eventuale ricezione di
copie multiple]

                              AVVISO DI SEMINARIO

DATA:
     Martedi' 6/3/2007, ore 12:15

RELATORE:
     Fabio Pellacini
     Department of Computer Science
     Dartmouth College
     Hanover, New Hampshire (USA)
     http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~fabio/

TITOLO:
     Interactive Cinematic Lighting: Algorithms and Architectures

LUOGO:
     Sala riunioni (III piano)
     Dipartimento di Matematica, Universita' di Parma
     Parco Area delle Scienze, 53/A (Campus)
     PARMA

SOMMARIO:

     Lighting is a fundamental aspect of synthetic imagery.
     In a cinematic setting, it defines appearance, gives mood and
     enhances storytelling. At the same time, lighting computation
     dominates the cost of rendering three dimensional environments.
     Making this process interactive remains a challenge given the
     complexity of cinematic environments and the
     requirements for high fidelity.
     In this talk, I will present our recent results in cinematic
     lighting that achieve interactivity by developing new approximation
     algorithms that can take full advantage of today's commodity hardware
     architectures. I will also discuss how current architecture
     trends require the definition of new formulations for lighting
     computations to scale on future generations of commodity
     platforms.
     Finally, I will briefly present results from user interfaces that
     take advantage of the newly developed interactivity to
     drastically reduce lighting-and-material content creation time,
     one of the current roadblocks for a ubiquitous use of synthetic imagery.

RIF.:
     Gianfranco Rossi
     http://www.math.unipr.it/~gianfr