[PURRS-devel] [Fwd: Re: Apparent non-termination of NTL's `make check' (version 5.3.2)]

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Sun Jul 4 16:09:32 CEST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Apparent non-termination of NTL's  `make check' (version 5.3.2)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 18:03:42 -0400
From: victor shoup <shoup at cs.nyu.edu>
To: Roberto Bagnara <bagnara at cs.unipr.it>

Hi,

That's interesting...so the problem lies somewhere else.
Isolating the problem is a matter of a process of elimination, and it
won't be to easy to do this,
unless I have direct access to your gcc compiler.  I don't have
immediate access gcc v3.4.1.
Maybe someone here at NYU has one I can borrow...or maybe you could
give me login access
to one of your machines with the same compiler.

I'm busy with lots of other things right now, and don't have a lot of
time to work on this.
If you can survive for the moment with this workaround, I'll wait and
see if others have a similar
problem....so far, you're the first I've heard from with such a problem
(and actually, I get *very* few
bug reports of any kind).

Here are a few simple things you might try.
First, try compiling with the option -O1, just to see if that makes a
difference.
What I would do next is figure out what .o files are actually linked
into the subset program.
Then do a "binary search", compiling some with and some without -O2 (or
whatever) to isolate
at least which .c file is causing the problem.
Then one has to do a binary search within the file (maybe there are
pragmas to turn optimization
on/off...I forget).
It's not very exciting work!

This isn't the first gcc problem I've encountered!
Although I admit, there is the possibility that the NTL code is making
assumptions that are too strong
(and which the optimizer does not honor).

   -- Victor

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it