[PURRS-devel] Spacing problem with Doxygen 1.3-rc3-20030215

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Fri Feb 21 15:50:15 CET 2003

Dear Dimitri,

there are a couple of spacing problems affecting the LaTeX output.
This is demonstrated by the attached testcase.
What happens is that something like

   two <I>emphasized words</I>, and other words

is translated into

   two {\em emphasized words} , and other words

There are two problems here: the first and most important
is that the space between the closed curly bracket and the
comma should not be there since LaTeX will put unwanted
space before the comma and, even worse, may break the line
before the comma.  This problem applies also to other
HTML tags such as <EM>, <STRONG> and <B>.

The other problem is that either the LaTeX anachronism

    {\em emphasized text}

should be avoided in favor of

    \emph{emphasized text}

or, if that is impossible for some reason (e.g., you want
to support very old versions of LaTeX), an italic
correction should be inserted, as in

    {\em emphasized text\/}

This problem affects both <I> and <EM>.

The attached patch solves both problems.
Can this be applied before the release?
All the best

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it