[PURRS-devel] [Fwd: Problems with expand()]

Tatiana Zolo zolo at cs.unipr.it
Thu Feb 28 12:15:46 CET 2002

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Problems with expand()
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:48:50 +0100
From: Tatiana Zolo <zolo at cs.unipr.it>
To: ginac <ginac-list at zino.physik.uni-mainz.de>

We have a few questions about GinaC's behaviour.

For our purposes, it would be useful to have a slightly more general
form of expand that takes care of non-ambiguous iterated exponentials,
as in the case

(2^x)^3

which we would like to see in the form

2^(3*x)   or even   8^x

We understand that there are cases when this should not be done
automatically, but we believe that this is an instance when there
is no harm in simplifying since 2 is a positive real number and
there is no question of complex numbers being involved. A "real"
version of expand would be very useful for us.

Do you plan to add these features to a future release of GiNaC?

Thank you very much. Best wishes

Alessandro Zaccagnini
Tatiana Zolo

purrs developers,