[PPL-devel] OpenSolaris success - was Re: Modified PPL 0.10.2 source distribution for Solaris

alanpae at ilkda.com alanpae at ilkda.com
Wed Nov 18 22:20:54 CET 2009

>> Would it help if I tarred everything up and sent it to you?
>
> Hmm, I am afraid not. The only thing it could _really_ help is
> providing me with access to a fully configured Solaris machine
> (with all the required development tools in place) for 30 minutes.
> I know in the past you objected to this and suggested I install
> Solaris instead: unfortunately I don't have the time to do that.
> So let us wait for someone who can provide me access to such
> a machine: if there is a real interest in having the PPL running
> on Solaris, I am sure this will happen soon.
> All the best,
>
> Roberto

Right, essentially because I'm behind a firewall and NAT that are not
under my control so I have no way to cut a hole for ssh access otherwise

Ok, so there are essentially two default compilers for
Solaris/OpenSolaris.  GCC and Sun Studio.  There are others but let's
not complicate things.

Sun Studio is the one that I've been fighting with and not having any
luck.  You have tried to provide support and if I was an actual coder it
probably would have made sense.  Ok, I'm tired of fighting Sun Studio so
back to gcc.

Solaris/OpenSolaris comes with gcc 3.4.3 as the default compiler.  As
you have already noted that version is to old be be used with PPL.  So
the recipe is:

Get and install the current version of binutils.  This is used to
replace the stock versions of as and ld that come with Solaris and is an
attempt to get the system to be as close to a Linux dev box as possible.

For the path statement add the directory where you will install binutils
and gcc eventually followed by /usr/gnu/bin which again is used to get
the box as close to a Linux box as possible and then any other pathing
statements that you need.

After binutils compile and add the current version of gcc.  You cannot
use the PPL switch as you haven't got that far yet and is the purpose of
this in the first place.

Get and install gmp using -fexceptions and --enable-gxx as per the
requirements page.

Then compile PPL with the --with-gnu-ld switch and it goes off without a
hitch.

gmake check shows all tests passed for the first two tests of 1 and 41.
It's still running but I don't expect anything major to show up.

thanks,
alan

The only errors in the output are these:

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..  -I.. -I../src  -I/opt/gcc/include  -g -O2
-frounding-math  -W -Wall -MT ppl-config.o -MD -MP -MF
.deps/ppl-config.Tpo -c -o ppl-config.o ppl-config.cc
ppl-config.cc:158: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant
to ‘char*’
[...]
mv -f .deps/ppl-config.Tpo .deps/ppl-config.Po

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../..  -I../.. -I../../src -I../../utils
-I/opt/gcc/include  -g -O2 -frounding-math  -W -Wall -MT ppl_lcdd.o -MD
-MP -MF .deps/ppl_lcdd.Tpo -c -o ppl_lcdd.o ppl_lcdd.cc
ppl_lcdd.cc:161: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to
‘char*’
ppl_lcdd.cc:161: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to
‘char*’
ppl_lcdd.cc:161: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to
‘char*’
ppl_lcdd.cc:161: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to
‘char*’
ppl_lcdd.cc:161: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to
‘char*’
ppl_lcdd.cc:161: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to
‘char*’
ppl_lcdd.cc:161: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to
‘char*’
ppl_lcdd.cc:161: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to
‘char*’
mv -f .deps/ppl_lcdd.Tpo .deps/ppl_lcdd.Po